WordPress was founded as a fork by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. Since its release on May 27, 2003, it is world’s most popular free publishing software and open source content management system (CMS). It is based on MySQL and PHP and can be installed on a web server. As of April 2016, 26.4 percent of 10 million websites have used this software, and more than 60 million webs have used this blogging system, according to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Investopedia also informs that around 75 million users are using WordPress CMS around the world.
WordPress comes in two versions – Cloud-based and download version. The cloud-based version is hosted on a cloud, and another version can be downloaded on a private server or host.The software is also simple, easy to use, and flexible. These are also the reasons why technical and non-technical users use it widely for Web development and Content management. It allows developers to create thousands of different types of plug-ins, widgets, and themes. The types of important plug-ins developers can develop for management, functionality, and security of websites include Backup Buddy, Wordfence Security, AddToAny Sharing Buttons, WordPress SEO, Gravity Forms and many others.
The information about installing WordPress and creating plug-ins and themes are available on Support – documentation section of wordpress.org. The users can also visit WordPress Support and Forums for technical and community supports. With the resources available on Support forums, developers and large and small enterprises can customize their websites as per their needs, and manage the contents on their site.
The advantages of using WordPress Website development can be summed up as:
- Simple Technology makes it easy to use. The user can easily control the site and make necessary updates.
- Developers can create and develop beautiful and customized websites.
- Open Source CMS helps linking websites to social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google plus, and others.
- The Large and small organization can easily manage contents on their websites and modify, edit, and update contents as per requirement. They can also add unlimited numbers of contents and blog posts on their website.
- WordPress sites are compatible with Google Search Engine and ideal for Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Users can modify the plugins and themes utilized in the website because WordPress provides thousands of plugins and themes.
- Designs of Websites can be fully customized helping businesses to expose their Brand to visitors.
- WordPress websites are easy to access, manage, and update because it is browser-based software. Users can log in to the internet from any computer and manage and update their website.
- WordPress mobile plugin (WordApp) is a suitable option for iPhone app development and Android Apps Development. It converts blog/website to a mobile website and mobile app.
- It is very flexible. The developers can develop any type of websites for different sectors.
- Multilingual WordPress helps developers create Websites in more than 70 languages.
- Users can upload images and media to their website using Image editing tools and Media Management uploader. They can also add captions, texts, titles, event calendar, and video gallery into their site and content.
Users must upgrade WordPress installation as often as possible because software is regularly updated and new features are added. These upgrades are also made public immediately. Regular upgrades improve the compatibility of the installation with new Plugins, security, and new features.
Author Bio – Deepak Vijay has 7+ years association with Syon Infomedia, a CMS Website Design and Mobile Apps development company. He has many years experience in technical and website development fields. He also has passion for writing. He keenly watches the latest happenings in the development field. Few of his articles have updated information on these developments.