When it comes to content management systems (CMS), WordPress is the undisputed market leader with a market share of 59.3%. Millions of different kinds of blogs and websites are powered by WordPress, and their pageviews keep growing year after year.
WordPress is the most popular CMS among everyone from casual users to professional developers. Even some of the biggest mass media agencies and global brands rely on WordPress for content management.
WordPress in Numbers
- WordPress powers more than 17 million
- The latest version of WordPress, 4.6, has been downloaded 8 million times.
- Searching for WordPress in Google gives you 6 billion results.
- There are 46,291 free plugins and 4,081 free themes on WordPress.
- WordPress users write about 8 million new posts every month.
- More than 542 million words are written in WordPress blogs every day.
- There were 2 billion page views across blogs on wordpress.com in 2016 alone.
- 50% of WordPress themes on ThemeForest make $1,000 a month.
- Automattic, the parent company of WordPress, raised $190.6 million from 15 investors during 9 years.
- The average yearly salary of WordPress developer in the US is $79,000.
Best-selling Themes & Plugins:
Besides thousands of free themes and plugins, there are also a lot of premium WordPress add-ons that you can buy online. The best-selling plugins are Visual Composer, Slider Revolution, LayerSlider, Ultimate Addons, and UberMenu, while the best-selling WordPress themes are Avada, X the Theme, Enfold, Betheme, and Bridge. Visual Composer sells 2340 units every week, while Avada sells 1724 units per week.
Check out this comprehensive infographic from skilled.co to learn all you ever wanted to know about WordPress.